:: Pedantic Platitudes ::

Greetings! My name is Sam J and I am a student at Harvard University. Perhaps this blog will present a little look into the mundane yet unique events that make up my life.
:: welcome to Pedantic Platitudes :: bloghome | photos | contact ::
[::..archive..::]
[::..recommended..::]
:: The Gift Ideas Blog - Gifts, Gift Ideas, Gift Baskets, Christmas Gifts, more! [>]
:: Mickeypedia - The Disney Encyclopedia! [>]
:: Idiot Celebrities - a blog about celebrity rumors and gossip [>]
:: The Disney Review [>]
:: Get a free Photo iPod! [>]
:: The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets [>]
:: MySpace [>]
:: Google News [>]
:: Harvard University [>]
:: The Rainforest Site [>]
:: A Birdseye View of My Life [>]
:: Greetings from the Deep South [>]
:: In the mind of a conflicted mad man [>]
:: PiscesDreams.com [>]
:: Alex Ho's LiveJournal [>]
:: Harvard Blogs [>]
:: MBHS 2002 Yahoo Group [>]

:: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 ::

I slept most of today in an attempt to rid myself of my wretched cold. However, this evening, I went out with Jordan and a bunch of people in his dorm for dinner at an Italian restaurant in the North End (the Italian district of Boston) to celebrate the night before the announcement of housing assignments. The food was delicious and high-quality, and there was even a student discount! The service was wonderful, also. So much better in comparison with the horrible time I had the last time I went to an Italian restaurant.

After we got back on campus, and after some confusing mix-ups and delays, said friends and I embarked on the River House Challenge - a "tradition" we thought had been going on for years and years but was actually started last year. Tomorrow we find out our housing assignments for the next three years, so it's a pretty big deal. Each house has its own pros and cons, its own architecture, character, and feel. Obviously, everyone wants to be in Adams House because it is closest to Harvard Yard. The next closest houses are the other river houses (so called because they are next to the Charles River). However, nobody wants to be put in Mather, which is far away and has an ugly, concrete design. Worse still are the Quad houses - Currier, Pforzheimer, and Cabot - which are a twenty-minute walk away from the yard. Saddened are most who are assigned these houses, but the benefit is that the rooms are super-nice with many singles. So the River House Challenge is to avoid the Quad, and this is done by taking a shot of alcohol in the courtyard of each of the river houses, finishing off with one final shot on the bridge over the Charles River. This is a total of 10 shots, and needless to say people are very drunk when/if they finish the challenge. Unfortunately, I participated by drinking only Vanilla Coke, but I felt that the spirit of participating was what was important. It was a fun bonding experience visiting all the houses and talking with friends, who were becoming increasingly drunk as the adventure progressed. Finally, we reached the bridge, everyone finished their drinks, and it was getting late, but Jordan and I went to a physics study group. After that, we went to a special breakfast at 2 a.m. to celebrate our upcoming housing assignments. I went to bed soon after that.

Unfortunately, I could not go to sleep because my coughing was so bad, so I went to UHS to get some medicine. I felt bad doing that... the "emergency" care will probably cost an arm and a leg. (Yes, I'm still as frugal as ever.)

:: SL 10:48 PM [+] ::
...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?