:: Pedantic Platitudes ::

Greetings! My name is Sam J and I am a student at Harvard University. Perhaps this blog will present a little look into the mundane yet unique events that make up my life.
:: welcome to Pedantic Platitudes :: bloghome | photos | contact ::
[::..archive..::]
[::..recommended..::]
:: The Gift Ideas Blog - Gifts, Gift Ideas, Gift Baskets, Christmas Gifts, more! [>]
:: Mickeypedia - The Disney Encyclopedia! [>]
:: Idiot Celebrities - a blog about celebrity rumors and gossip [>]
:: The Disney Review [>]
:: Get a free Photo iPod! [>]
:: The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets [>]
:: MySpace [>]
:: Google News [>]
:: Harvard University [>]
:: The Rainforest Site [>]
:: A Birdseye View of My Life [>]
:: Greetings from the Deep South [>]
:: In the mind of a conflicted mad man [>]
:: PiscesDreams.com [>]
:: Alex Ho's LiveJournal [>]
:: Harvard Blogs [>]
:: MBHS 2002 Yahoo Group [>]

:: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 ::

This morning, I got up early for my cognitive psychology class, where we had an exam. It wasn't too exciting… I probably should have gotten a little more than three hours of sleep I got the night before. After the exam, I went to Annenberg Hall to have breakfast. Then, I went to Chinese class.

Then, I was done for the day, so I came back to Leverett House for lunch with a bunch of friends. Following that, I checked my e-mail and then took a long nap for the rest of the afternoon. It was quite refreshing; I needed the rest. Then, I went to dinner with a good friend whom I haven't seen in quite some time.

Tonight, I went downtown to see Hairspray, a musical based on a John Waters film about a bubbly girl who fights for integration in Baltimore during the 60s. This production is a direct copy of the Tony-award winning Broadway musical and is touring the country; it is in Boston for this month.

Hairspray was such an incredible production, one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen. It now beats out The Producers as my favorite modern musical. Yes, I thought it was better than The Producers. I had heard great things about Hairspray: The Musical, so I was already expecting a lot. Hairspray met and even exceeded my expectations; I usually end up disappointed when something has a lot of hype, but the production is totally everything it's cracked up to be and more. The show was incredibly colorful. The set design and costumes were bright with a rainbow of hues, and the music was enjoyable pop. The jokes were hilarious and the dancing was incredible in a lively way. The storyline was quite endearing, and it even offered a lot of redeeming social commentary, considering it's about racial integration in 1962. Two of its themes reflected two of my most important life philosophies: follow your dreams and fight for what's right.

I was able to get a student rush ticket for only $25, and I got a seat on the front row of the balcony, so the view of the stage was unobstructed and clear. I could go on and on about the show; it was that good. Playing the role of Edna Turblad was celebrity Bruce Vilanch, who is famous for his comedy writing for the Oscars, Emmys, Grammys, etc., as well as his appearances on the game show Hollywood Squares. He did an amazing job in his role, which is played by Harvey Fierstein on Broadway to rave reviews. After the curtain call he appeared on stage and did a short comedy routine to lead into his request that the audience donate to an AIDS charity.

After the show, I got to meet Bruce Vilanch, and I got his autograph. He was very friendly and gracious, and when we left, he gave us some words of advice: "Never stop laughing."

I got back to campus and worked on some homework. Then, I helped some of my friends find the "rocke," which is hidden in somebody's room. We still couldn't find it, even after all that searching. We've concluded that the "rocke" has probably been relocated.

Quote of the Day: "You idiot! You're like a parrot without a brain!"

:: SL 10:22 AM [+] ::
...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?