:: Pedantic Platitudes ::

Greetings! My name is Sam J and I am a student at Harvard University. Perhaps this blog will present a little look into the mundane yet unique events that make up my life.
:: welcome to Pedantic Platitudes :: bloghome | photos | contact ::
[::..archive..::]
[::..recommended..::]
:: The Gift Ideas Blog - Gifts, Gift Ideas, Gift Baskets, Christmas Gifts, more! [>]
:: Mickeypedia - The Disney Encyclopedia! [>]
:: Idiot Celebrities - a blog about celebrity rumors and gossip [>]
:: The Disney Review [>]
:: Get a free Photo iPod! [>]
:: The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets [>]
:: MySpace [>]
:: Google News [>]
:: Harvard University [>]
:: The Rainforest Site [>]
:: A Birdseye View of My Life [>]
:: Greetings from the Deep South [>]
:: In the mind of a conflicted mad man [>]
:: PiscesDreams.com [>]
:: Alex Ho's LiveJournal [>]
:: Harvard Blogs [>]
:: MBHS 2002 Yahoo Group [>]

:: Sunday, August 29, 2004 ::

I just saw a television commercial for Sara Lee bread, and let me say that I am against their new advertising slogan "Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee." Didn't we learn long ago that we should avoid double negatives? I don't think a Sara Lee marketing slogan is the place for such a rhetorical device. Why the double negative?!?

Along that vein, I just saw a news headline that says "Anti-Kerry Ads Not Unfair, Laura Bush Says." I don't think the ads are fair at all, but that's another issue. The way the headline is written is complicated and slows down the reader. Couldn't the headline just say "Anti-Kerry Ads Are Fair, Laura Bush Says"?

Lesson of the day: Don't not avoid double negatives.

Today, I went out on a nice run/walk around town because exercise is healthy and makes one feel good. I did a lot of sightseeing, and although the sky today was really cloudy, it was a good thing because it helped to cool me down after all that running. I also brought along my iPod, which now has all my music loaded onto it.

I mentioned that I have a new iPod, but I neglected to mention how I became the owner of one. In the spring, I visited a department store at a nearby mall, and they had a "Win an iPod!" promotion. They were giving out an iPod each day of that month, so that boosted my chances of winning one, but I wasn't expecting anything. I filled out an entry card anyways... it never hurts to try, especially if it's free. Well, I received a call the week after notifying me that I was the new owner of an iPod! It was so exciting. It's the 40GB model and holds up to 10,000 songs. It came with all the accessories, too, including a charging dock. I've been wanting an iPod for a long time now, since many of my friends have them, but I didn't want to buy one because they are so expensive. It's exciting to join the "iPod club" now.

I watched a bit of the closing ceremonies of the Olympics, but then my sister and I decided to go see the movie "Hero," so we drove into SLO-town, spent a bit of time at Barnes and Noble, and saw the 9:30 showing of the film. Yay for Asians at the movies!

The film was incredible. I wholeheartedly recommend this movie to everyone. Not only is it one of those great tales rooted in ancient Chinese history, but it also has great action scenes, a tragic love story, and a redeeming message of peace and sacrifice. The imagery was incredibly beautiful, and the use of color in the film was superb. You can see some of the magical scenes in the trailer. The story also had some great twists, and certain moments were quite suspenseful. Excellent special effects, too. It really was a beautiful movie, and it makes me want to learn more about Chinese legends and tales. Everyone go see "Hero"!

Quote of the Day: "I don't have time; I'm too busy! I have to pray!"

:: SL 2:36 PM [+] ::
...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?