:: Pedantic Platitudes ::

Greetings! My name is Sam J and I am a student at Harvard University. Perhaps this blog will present a little look into the mundane yet unique events that make up my life.
:: welcome to Pedantic Platitudes :: bloghome | photos | contact ::
[::..archive..::]
[::..recommended..::]
:: The Gift Ideas Blog - Gifts, Gift Ideas, Gift Baskets, Christmas Gifts, more! [>]
:: Mickeypedia - The Disney Encyclopedia! [>]
:: Idiot Celebrities - a blog about celebrity rumors and gossip [>]
:: The Disney Review [>]
:: Get a free Photo iPod! [>]
:: The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets [>]
:: MySpace [>]
:: Google News [>]
:: Harvard University [>]
:: The Rainforest Site [>]
:: A Birdseye View of My Life [>]
:: Greetings from the Deep South [>]
:: In the mind of a conflicted mad man [>]
:: PiscesDreams.com [>]
:: Alex Ho's LiveJournal [>]
:: Harvard Blogs [>]
:: MBHS 2002 Yahoo Group [>]

:: Saturday, October 23, 2004 ::

Wow, what a busy week! I suppose I should say something about the events that transpired between last Friday and now. On Saturday, my friend's aunt visited, so she treated my friends and me to cheese, crackers, and beverages and then a wonderful dinner at Henrietta's Table, a semi-fancy restaurant. It was exciting because it was a four-course dinner with a fixed menu, making it extra-fancy.

There was a New England crab cake appetizer with a fine cucumber tartar sauce. Then, we were served a spinach salad with very fresh leaves topped with goat cheese, super-sweet raspberries, and crunchy walnuts coated with a toffee crunch. We got to choose our main entree from three dishes, and I chose the salmon dish because I love salmon. The salmon had a sweet glaze made from apple cider and honey and was decorated with a slice of braised apple speared with thyme. Sides included mashed potatoes, squash, beets, and brussel sprouts. The meal concluded with a dazzling dessert: chocolate bread pudding with caramelized bananas and the most wonderful vanilla ice cream. Such a delightful end to an amazing meal. I was so full afterwards.

Later that night, we celebrated my friend Molly's 21st birthday. It was a stylish soiree with conversation and fancy drinks and snacks. Not as much dancing as there had been at the party I went to the night before, but still fun in a different kind of way. I saw a bunch of my friends and we socialized.

This week has been rather busy. On Tuesday, my tutorial class got to watch the movie Memento, which was exciting because I had heard a lot of great things about it and had wanted to see for a long time. It was really clever how the story was told backwards, which mirrored the confusion of amnesia. We watched the film because the topic we were studying was memory and memory loss.

Also notable this week, the Red Sox won game 7! I'm not a big sports fan, but being in Boston, it's hard not to be swept up by the fever and excitement. Some of my friends who are hardcore Red Sox fans were so nervous, especially when the Red Sox were down 0-3, but they made an unprecedented comeback, winning four games to win overall 4-3. It was especially tense for the fans because the Yankees are the greatest rivals of the Red Sox, so it was an even bigger deal. Great stuff. After they won, everyone rushed out into Harvard Square and celebrated with cheers, singing, and general hullabaloo. Good times! Will this be the year the Red Sox finally win the World Series? I'm thinking this will be the year; the "curse" will be broken after almost 100 years.

On Wednesday, I went to a wonderful tea, where I socialized with faculty members and other students. I also ran subjects in the psychology lab I'm working in.

I had a paper due on Friday, so I worked on that, reading the subject material and then writing on the vague assigned topic. After I went to classes, finished writing my paper, and turned the assignment in, I participated in a quick psychology study and then had dinner with my friends. In the evening, I watched the movie In The Mood For Love, which is a Chinese/Cantonese movie with English subtitles. Since I didn't get any sleep at all the night before, it was a bit tough to stay awake, but I still understood the movie.

Later on, I visited my friends, and we went to CVS to buy some Halloween candy with a coupon one of my friends had in her possession. We ran into some other friends, and I ended up teaching the "TRAGEDY!" dance in the middle of Harvard Square. It was quite an event. We later visited and talked about the fashion and the musical Newsies.

I then visited some more friends and drank some tea while chatting. It was more good times and humorous discussion. I then went to bed "early" because I was so tired from not getting any sleep from the night before.

Quote of the Day: "Come on, we're college students! We're supposed to be doing acid and having group sex with animals!"

:: SL 9:25 PM [+] ::
...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?