:: Pedantic Platitudes ::

Greetings! My name is Sam J and I am a student at Harvard University. Perhaps this blog will present a little look into the mundane yet unique events that make up my life.
:: welcome to Pedantic Platitudes :: bloghome | photos | contact ::
[::..archive..::]
[::..recommended..::]
:: The Gift Ideas Blog - Gifts, Gift Ideas, Gift Baskets, Christmas Gifts, more! [>]
:: Mickeypedia - The Disney Encyclopedia! [>]
:: Idiot Celebrities - a blog about celebrity rumors and gossip [>]
:: The Disney Review [>]
:: Get a free Photo iPod! [>]
:: The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets [>]
:: MySpace [>]
:: Google News [>]
:: Harvard University [>]
:: The Rainforest Site [>]
:: A Birdseye View of My Life [>]
:: Greetings from the Deep South [>]
:: In the mind of a conflicted mad man [>]
:: PiscesDreams.com [>]
:: Alex Ho's LiveJournal [>]
:: Harvard Blogs [>]
:: MBHS 2002 Yahoo Group [>]

:: Monday, January 03, 2005 ::

I hope the new year finds everyone well! I need to write an update before I go back to school!

Last Wednesday, my friends and I went dancing! It was so much fun, and I saw a lot of people I hadn't seen in a long time. They played some great music with a lot of variety, and we stayed for a long time. Beforehand, we had chatted outside. I had taken the bus into town, and it was funny because there was a drunk homeless person onboard who kept yelling loudly, "$20 whore? I can't believe you went with a $20 whore! I wouldn't even go with a $100 whore!"

On Thursday, I still went into SLO-town despite the pouring rain that would cancel Farmers Market. I met up with some friends, and we had some fun conversations. I then went downtown, spent some moments reading at Barnes and Noble, got dinner to go from Mondeo Pronto (spicy kung pao chicken with crispy won ton strips!), and went with friends to The Grad for country line dancing. It was the first time I had been to The Grad, which is this big dance hall and bar where they host dance parties (usually on Wednesdays for "College Hump Night" and on weekends for dancing to hip-hop and Top 40 music). I didn't know anything about country line dancing except for the Steps dance to their faux line dancing song "5,6,7,8," and I was apprehensive at first because everyone else seemed to know what they were doing, but I ended up learning the two-step and picking up some of the line dances by watching everyone else dance! It was quite an experience. They played a lot of country music, which I don't really listen to, and everyone was dressed up like cowboys and cowgirls. But I think it was just very striking to see so many people knowing all these dance steps, and for me to discover this whole culture I had not been very aware of was quite a shock indeed. I recall commenting, "There are so many white people!" But line dancing was cool and neat to experience for the first time. I think I would enjoy it a lot more if I had a chance to learn all the dances beforehand!

Friday was New Year's Eve! My sister and I originally had plans to go to Disneyland this day to experience all the cool festivities they have at the resort, but alas our plans fell through. In the afternoon, I walked down to the waterfront, where I went window shopping at the stores; I then walked to the beach by Morro Rock, where I haven't been in a while! The rain that has lasted this whole week stopped for a bit, so I was able to walk so far. It was still windy, though, so the waves were quite powerful. They pounded against the breakwater with such fury! A lot of tourists were there admiring the power of nature. I went back home for dinner, after which I met up with a few friends, and we had an "intimate get-together" for New Year's Eve. There were a lot of fun games and crazy antics! We counted down to midnight and then went to bed, er, "bread" soon after!

On Saturday, I stayed at home and watched a lot of television. I don't really watch much TV at school, so it was interesting to see all the stuff that's on TV nowadays. I was watching E! and VH1, and all they talked about was Britney Spears. I had no idea she was such a big deal in the entertainment world. Later in the evening, my whole family went out to see a movie (a rare event, considering the family business). We went to see The Phantom of the Opera! I had wanted to take my sister to see the movie since she's wild about the music even though she's never seen the show. This was my second viewing of the film, and it was just as enjoyable. There were several parts and lyrics I understood a little better the second time. I still think the dancer in the "Masquerade" sequence looks like he belongs in Madonna's "Vogue" music video!

Sunday was another unproductive yet relaxing day. I watched Beauty and the Beast with my sister, and I started getting some things ready for my return to school on Tuesday night. We had fish & chips for dinner! Yum! I also had some clam chowder, which I haven't had at home in a while. I then stayed up watching Will & Grace. I had forgotten what a hilarious show it is.

Today, I made plans for my "Intersession" (the two-week break at the end of January that we get after finals and before the second semester starts). I also went to the supermarket with my sister because we wanted to rent the movie Napoleon Dynamite, but we were late, and we couldn't find it available. Later, I went with a friend to SLO-town, and we went downtown, stopped in various stores, laughed at a window that made passing cars look like Tonka cars!, and got a delightful teriyaki chicken rice bowl with vegetables called a "Tiki Bowl." That was most delicious because I was quite hungry. We met up with friends at Cal Poly's student union, and we went bowling! I played better this time than when I had played before, but my friends were still better! I then played Dance Dance Revolution (just like old times!) and watched my friends play pool. I really enjoyed myself there, and I got to say goodbye to a lot of people before I leave to go back to school tomorrow. At home, I chatted with my sister about school stuff. I then spent some time organizing (music and document) files on my computer.

This was a nice break! It was most relaxing, and I got to go out a lot and have fun with friends. I luckily did not have to face too much of the friendrama I was expecting and dreading right before returning here. I also got closer to several old friends and made some new friends, too! 'Twas good times.

Looking ahead, I'm taking the overnight flight tomorrow to Boston. I'm hoping there won't be annoying screaming babies so I can sleep, but knowing my luck I'll be seated next to one, alas! After a week and a half of "Reading Period," when we are given time to study, we will have our finals in mid-January. I only have one real final, but I have some papers and some loose ends to tie up for classes. Then, I get two weeks off at the end of January. Then the spring semester starts! I'm expecting to take some really fun classes this spring, so I'm really looking forward to the new semester!

Quote(s) of the Day: "These things can tip over, you know!"

"It's midnight; even Cinderella is in bed by now."

"They should be extinguished. Unfortunately, murder is immoral, so the next best thing is to be superior."

:: SL 1:25 AM [+] ::
...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?