:: Pedantic Platitudes ::

Greetings! My name is Sam J and I am a student at Harvard University. Perhaps this blog will present a little look into the mundane yet unique events that make up my life.
:: welcome to Pedantic Platitudes :: bloghome | photos | contact ::
[::..archive..::]
[::..recommended..::]
:: The Gift Ideas Blog - Gifts, Gift Ideas, Gift Baskets, Christmas Gifts, more! [>]
:: Mickeypedia - The Disney Encyclopedia! [>]
:: Idiot Celebrities - a blog about celebrity rumors and gossip [>]
:: The Disney Review [>]
:: Get a free Photo iPod! [>]
:: The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets [>]
:: MySpace [>]
:: Google News [>]
:: Harvard University [>]
:: The Rainforest Site [>]
:: A Birdseye View of My Life [>]
:: Greetings from the Deep South [>]
:: In the mind of a conflicted mad man [>]
:: PiscesDreams.com [>]
:: Alex Ho's LiveJournal [>]
:: Harvard Blogs [>]
:: MBHS 2002 Yahoo Group [>]

:: Friday, March 11, 2005 ::

Alas, it is snowing again. It had snowed quite heavily earlier this week, and then much of the snow melted away. Now, it's piling up once again. You'd think that the middle of March would be all pretty and spring-like, but noooo.

On Presidents' Day, my friends and I went to the super-posh dessert restaurant Finale to celebrate the 21st birthday of one of my suite-mates. It was fun as we got to meet his friends from home and enjoy tasty (not to mention very fancy) dessert. I had the "Molten Chocolate" dessert, which was this amazing chocolate cake that had a slightly crisp and sponge-like outside with a dense, gooey chocolate sauce in the inside. I thoroughly enjoyed the flavor and the texture. The whole thing was served warm and contrasted with a small scoop of creamy... oh, I just noticed it's all described here. Check out the site; it offers a nice picture of how well the dessert was presented. Finale is all about presentation. Afterwards, we played the Surrealist Game, the most fun game ever, and then I did schoolwork.

Two weekends ago, my friend and I threw a "Pop Music Party" in the common room of the suite in which I live. It was a ton of fun. We invited a bunch of our friends and danced to a lot of fun pop music. We also got funding from the Undergraduate Council, so we were able to get a lot of refreshments. After dancing, we went to the Quincy Grille, where we had snacks and chatted. Some of you may have received some special calls from me that night.

Last weekend was Harvard Model Congress! HMC is one of the extracurriculars in which I am involved. After meetings and trainings for the entire year, our organization culminated in a huge weekend government simulation for hundreds of high school students from around the country. Each of the high school students came to Boston and were assigned a role for the weekend, such as an actual senator or congressperson (and some were Supreme Court justices, lower court judges, National Security Council members, etc.) and they dealt with global and domestic issues, from the threat of terrorism to confirming a new Supreme Court justice.

I was part of the Press Corps, so I got to coach journalistic writing for the students who were assigned to be reporters. We also did layout for the newspapers. It was a hectic schedule, yet the high school students were so productive; they would churn out so many stories that we almost couldn't fit them all into the papers. Over the course of the weekend, we put out eight newspapers: seven serious ones and one humor/parody magazine. 'Twas a lot of work, but we still had a lot of fun. The event was held at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Boston, right next to the huge Prudential/Copley mall, so we treated ourselves to Krispy Kreme donuts and Cheesecake Factory desserts to keep us motivated.

This past week, I've spent a lot of time in the psychology lab. We've been running subjects and collecting data for this study I'm working on. I had a midterm on Tuesday, and that was intense but fun to study for because the subject matter is most enjoyable. Last night, I went to a birthday party for one of my friends. It was the first time I had been to the Quad in a year, which is kind of sad, but then again, I don't have that many friends who live there and since the closure of Hilles Library, there's really no other reason to go there.

The party was hilarious; the theme was "Hamster Party," and it was based on an inside joke with the roommates of the person whose birthday it was. They set up shredded newspaper all over the floor of the "hamster room" and put up print-outs of hamsters on the wall. One was a rasterized poster of a hamster holding a wine bottle! Party guests than romped through the hamster room with the newspaper shreds as if it were a hamster cage! All that was missing was a hamster wheel... oh, and a giant water dispenser. Yeah, we danced to fun electronica music, too, DJ'd by my friend Jordan.

Quotes of the Day: "My throat hurts from talking like a man."

"You should hit the Jacko jackpot."

"You should be the next Michael Jackson." "Yeah, too bad I hate children."

"If I grew huge mouse ears, would you love me then?"

:: SL 12:25 PM [+] ::
...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?