:: Pedantic Platitudes ::

Greetings! My name is Sam J and I am a student at Harvard University. Perhaps this blog will present a little look into the mundane yet unique events that make up my life.
:: welcome to Pedantic Platitudes :: bloghome | photos | contact ::
[::..archive..::]
[::..recommended..::]
:: The Gift Ideas Blog - Gifts, Gift Ideas, Gift Baskets, Christmas Gifts, more! [>]
:: Mickeypedia - The Disney Encyclopedia! [>]
:: Idiot Celebrities - a blog about celebrity rumors and gossip [>]
:: The Disney Review [>]
:: Get a free Photo iPod! [>]
:: The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets [>]
:: MySpace [>]
:: Google News [>]
:: Harvard University [>]
:: The Rainforest Site [>]
:: A Birdseye View of My Life [>]
:: Greetings from the Deep South [>]
:: In the mind of a conflicted mad man [>]
:: PiscesDreams.com [>]
:: Alex Ho's LiveJournal [>]
:: Harvard Blogs [>]
:: MBHS 2002 Yahoo Group [>]

:: Thursday, March 24, 2005 ::

Last week was seriously one of the best ever. I had been studying for my Wednesday midterm, and I stayed up pretty late studying on Tuesday night. Wednesday was going to be terribly dreary with tiredness since I had to wake up so early to go work in the psychology lab, but the shift wasn't so bad, and then I received good news... I was accepted to the summer program I had applied to and really wanted to get into! It's going to be so cool, and I'll still have lots of time to do my newspaper internship!

So I went into the exam feeling good about things, and the midterm wasn't too bad! I felt I did pretty well on it. Then I went back to the psychology lab to work, even though I didn't have to, and got more stuff done, so that was another pleasant thing in my day. Then I went to dinner, where they served turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce... just like Thanksgiving! And there was pie for dessert! Yay, pie.

Yep... last week was simply wonderful... yay for things working out. The good news brightened the rest of my week, and it only got better. My friend's friend from home was visiting, and she had talked about him for a long time, so it was great to finally meet him. His name is Haakon (sounds like "hawken"), which is the coolest name ever. I visited them on Thursday, and we chatted and had fun. We also watched The Incredibles. What a great movie! It was nice to see it again. We also saw some of the bonus features on DVD, including one that was in a comic book style. That was hilarious because the villain was so over-the-top and this random dog sidekick kept bouncing up and down, and that's all it did.

The next day, I stopped by my suite-mate's birthday party, and we played the game Apples to Apples, another fun game. I missed the surrealist game, alas, but did have some yummy Japanese chocolate-filled cookies that depict cartoonish koala bears. I then went to another friend's get-together to say hi. They had also played the surrealist game earlier, and it was fun to read the captions for their illustrations. I also ate some avocado! It reminded me of the avocado farm just outside my hometown!

I then went to Mather House to visit my friend, whose blockmates were holding a big party. It was fun to dance! I had a really great time. After the party ended, I stayed with my friend and her visiting friend, and we chatted and played video games into the morning... got to see the sunrise!

After a little bit of sleep, I had to get up to work in the lab! I ran a bunch of subjects. Afterwards, I then went to work at the Hasty Pudding, where it was the last weekend of the run in Boston. I took tickets, and then helped with some cleaning up duties since the theater is undergoing a major renovation after the show closes. After having dinner, I went back to the Hasty Pudding to help out again for the evening show. I got to watch part of the show, which is called "Terms of Frontierment." It's a western-themed musical, and it was a lot of fun, if not extremely offensive. The songs were really catchy, though.

This week, besides going to classes, I worked in the psychology lab a lot. In addition to going into the lab, I had to get a bunch of surveys completed as well, so I spent a lot of time at Brain Breaks to get people to fill out the questionnaires. Then I had to enter all the data into an Excel file. Yep, many late nights. Lots of work, but it was quite nice when I finished it all. Yesterday, I also went into Boston to tutor high school students for HPEP. It's a tough job doing the things a teacher does, coming up with a lesson plan, making sure you're saying the right things, keeping the students awake by engaging them in interactive activities, discussions, and projects.

Today, the freshmen found out what upperclass houses they're assigned to, and so I went to the freshman dining hall to represent Leverett House! It was like a huge party, with students from each house making lots of noise and congratulating the freshmen who had been placed in their houses. The houses also expressed their friendly rivalries, making little jabs here and there with their poster slogans and chants. The party continues tonight, as welcoming parties around Leverett House offer food and socializing for the incoming freshmen to give them a taste of what the house is like. Later, I'm going to a friend's birthday party, and then I'm going to see a movie! I'm all done with schoolwork for now, and spring break is on its way!

Tomorrow, I'm heading home for spring break (which is until April 3)! Yay! I don't have any classes on Friday, so I'm able to leave for break early. My flight leaves at 6 tomorrow morning, so I'm taking the 4 a.m. shuttle to the airport. I can't wait to see my friends from home again!

Oh, our house masters got a new puppy! Meet Rosie:


:: SL 9:47 AM [+] ::
...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?