:: Pedantic Platitudes ::

Greetings! My name is Sam J and I am a student at Harvard University. Perhaps this blog will present a little look into the mundane yet unique events that make up my life.
:: welcome to Pedantic Platitudes :: bloghome | photos | contact ::
[::..archive..::]
[::..recommended..::]
:: The Gift Ideas Blog - Gifts, Gift Ideas, Gift Baskets, Christmas Gifts, more! [>]
:: Mickeypedia - The Disney Encyclopedia! [>]
:: Idiot Celebrities - a blog about celebrity rumors and gossip [>]
:: The Disney Review [>]
:: Get a free Photo iPod! [>]
:: The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets [>]
:: MySpace [>]
:: Google News [>]
:: Harvard University [>]
:: The Rainforest Site [>]
:: A Birdseye View of My Life [>]
:: Greetings from the Deep South [>]
:: In the mind of a conflicted mad man [>]
:: PiscesDreams.com [>]
:: Alex Ho's LiveJournal [>]
:: Harvard Blogs [>]
:: MBHS 2002 Yahoo Group [>]

:: Sunday, May 29, 2005 ::

Update!

I finished with packing after my finals and on Tuesday took the train to Philadelphia. The train had some engine problems so we were delayed for more than an hour, but I got into town in the early evening. I found my dorm on the UPenn campus, and settled in. The campus is pretty and it's near a bunch of restaurants and a supermarket, so I will probably be eating more often than when I was in Miami!

I got up early on Wednesday and ran a bunch of errands, from getting an access card to enter the building I'm living in to researching how to get around this (huge) city. I took the subway (it's a bit complicated... like being in New York!) and somehow managed to get to work. I got to help write a couple of stories this week, but soon I'll be writing my own stories.

Anyways, it's been a good week. I've been trying to get used to the city and figuring out where things are, how to get around, etc. Yesterday, I went to see Independence Hall, where the Founding Fathers signed the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution. I also saw the Liberty Bell and Benjamin Franklin's grave, as well as a bunch of other historical buildings and sites. It felt it was a patriotic thing to do, especially on Memorial Day weekend. I'm not sure what I'm doing tomorrow, but I'm sure it will be exciting. I've been back on a regular sleep schedule this week, and it feels good to go to bed early enough and actually wake up before 9 a.m. without feeling tired throughout the day. Hopefully this will continue through the summer, and because I'm doing reporting and don't have the night shifts of copy editors, it should come pretty naturally.

Oh! Last week, my friends put on a stage production of the six-hour TV mini-series "Pride and Prejudice" called "Pride and Prejudice - Live!" (PNPL, for short). I was originally planning to just play the role of the carriage, continuing my short career as a portrayer of inanimate objects in random theatrical productions. I was then asked to play Mrs. Bennett (whose name, for some reason, I keep thinking is Mrs. Haberdash - I'm not sure where that came from), but I didn't want to be typecast as the loud, annoying character. Later, however, I was cajoled into playing the role when somebody dropped out due to a schedule conflict. Forced to play the role of Mrs. Haberdash, I mean, Mrs. Bennett, I decided to spice up the part a bit. My friend Marion (standing next to me in the scarf in the third picture below) played Mr. Bennett, and she offered to share a script with me, so I joked that in addition to sharing scripts our characters also shared conjugal beds. Later on, I discovered that my character had five children, so I commented that my uterus was sore and stretched out.

The play was enjoyable... we all did silly fake British accents, and we had a small audience (the actors outnumbered the audience members), but it was a lot of fun. I got to wear a silly costume... check out some of the pictures (yes, I am indeed wearing a skirt as a poncho):






:: SL 10:47 PM [+] ::
...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?