:: Pedantic Platitudes ::

Greetings! My name is Sam J and I am a student at Harvard University. Perhaps this blog will present a little look into the mundane yet unique events that make up my life.
:: welcome to Pedantic Platitudes :: bloghome | photos | contact ::
[::..archive..::]
[::..recommended..::]
:: The Gift Ideas Blog - Gifts, Gift Ideas, Gift Baskets, Christmas Gifts, more! [>]
:: Mickeypedia - The Disney Encyclopedia! [>]
:: Idiot Celebrities - a blog about celebrity rumors and gossip [>]
:: The Disney Review [>]
:: Get a free Photo iPod! [>]
:: The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets [>]
:: MySpace [>]
:: Google News [>]
:: Harvard University [>]
:: The Rainforest Site [>]
:: A Birdseye View of My Life [>]
:: Greetings from the Deep South [>]
:: In the mind of a conflicted mad man [>]
:: PiscesDreams.com [>]
:: Alex Ho's LiveJournal [>]
:: Harvard Blogs [>]
:: MBHS 2002 Yahoo Group [>]

:: Sunday, January 08, 2006 ::

Part 2:

There were lots of fun times over break. My sister (and one of her friends from high school and one of her friends from Yale) and I went to Disneyland! It was the first time in several years we've been to Disneyland during the (busy) winter season when all the amazing holiday decorations are up.

OBLIGATORY PHOTO IN FRONT OF SLEEPING BEAUTY CASTLE!!!!



Another one! (We had fun taking pictures while waiting for Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams to start):



There was also the delightful Christmas Fantasy Parade. We hopped over to Disney's California Adventure and got to preview the upcoming Monsters, Inc. ride. It had only been open for soft openings for a few days when we went, so it was exciting to see something so new. I really liked the ride; its storyline gave it a sense of excitement, even though it's a slow-moving dark ride, and there were a lot of excellent special effects.

We were quite disappointed that evening when the 17-minute-long "Remember... Dreams Come True" fireworks spectacular was cancelled due to the weather (curse you, Santa Ana winds!), but we carried on and enjoyed the rest of our day. However, I was exhausted by the end of the day at Disneyland; I hadn't slept more than 4 hours each of the 4 nights before the trip, and the entire day of walking didn't help matters. You know something's wrong when you can't even stay awake for the duration of the nighttime special effects extravaganza Fantasmic!, which is blindingly bright and ear-splittingly loud. I actually fell asleep during the show (which is my favorite show anywhere). Well, at the end of the day we all drove to my sister's friend's dorm at a nearby college, and I fell asleep immediately.

Over break I also saw a bunch of movies. My friends and I went to see Chronicles of Narnia, which was visually exciting, and nothing beats the magic of discovering a completely different world.

"Aslan was totally into Lucy... It was like pedophilia and bestiality at the same time!"

Alas, some of the Christian references may have been lost on me. Oh well.

I also saw The Producers, which was a faithful reproduction of the Broadway musical, which I saw in New York a few years ago (but not with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick). They kept a lot of the good jokes, songs, and of course the amazing Springtime for Hitler musical number.

The film wasn't too good cinematographically, though. Theater direction is different from film direction, and it's painfully obvious in this film when blocking used in the theater is reproduced exactly for the movie, so things just look awkward. If you do see the film, be sure to stay through the very end of the credits for a hilarious Will Ferrell song and a final song and dance number with the whole cast.

It was nice being home and seeing some friends I haven't seen in a very long time. This was my first time home in six months (the longest I've ever been away from home) because I worked in Philadelphia, then went to Oxford for summer school, and then came directly back to school.

I finally turned 21 on Christmas, and my friends took me out to celebrate a few days later at the local bar. They bought me an A.M.F. (Adios Motherfuckers), which has sooo much alcohol. Too much, actually. Alas. We went out a few days later and went bar hopping (my first time, woo!). 'Twas a lot of fun. We ended the night at Denny's and ate lots of unhealthy food. Yum.

For New Year's Eve, I hosted a small get-together with a few friends. 'Twas lots of fun. We played games and watched the ball drop in New York at midnight, and we banged pots and pans while screaming "Happy New Year!" at the top of our lungs in the quiet residential neighborhood at 1 a.m. Pacific Standard Time. We then stayed up eating Bagel Bites and Haagen-Dazs ice cream bars while watching Margaret Cho's hilarious "Notorious C.H.O." DVD.

Now I'm back at school, madly studying (yeah, right) for final exams that begin next week. Then, I get another week off, and the spring semester (my last college semester!!!) begins in February!

Quote(s) of the Day: "I can't close the glove compartment because your tube of lube is too big!"

"I'm more drunk sober than I am drunk!"

"Awkward is the new suave."

"I spent all of today groping an old woman." "And by that you mean you spent all of today dissecting the body of an 81-year-old in your anatomy class."

:: SL 4:26 AM [+] ::
...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?