:: Pedantic Platitudes ::

Greetings! My name is Sam J and I am a student at Harvard University. Perhaps this blog will present a little look into the mundane yet unique events that make up my life.
:: welcome to Pedantic Platitudes :: bloghome | photos | contact ::
[::..archive..::]
[::..recommended..::]
:: The Gift Ideas Blog - Gifts, Gift Ideas, Gift Baskets, Christmas Gifts, more! [>]
:: Mickeypedia - The Disney Encyclopedia! [>]
:: Idiot Celebrities - a blog about celebrity rumors and gossip [>]
:: The Disney Review [>]
:: Get a free Photo iPod! [>]
:: The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets [>]
:: MySpace [>]
:: Google News [>]
:: Harvard University [>]
:: The Rainforest Site [>]
:: A Birdseye View of My Life [>]
:: Greetings from the Deep South [>]
:: In the mind of a conflicted mad man [>]
:: PiscesDreams.com [>]
:: Alex Ho's LiveJournal [>]
:: Harvard Blogs [>]
:: MBHS 2002 Yahoo Group [>]

:: Sunday, April 16, 2006 ::

Last weekend and this weekend were fun. I helped out with house managing the production of Gilbert and Sullivan's The Yeoman of the Guard. It's a good show, and hack night last night was full of funny in-jokes and random anachronisms.

Friday night, I went downtown to see the new touring production of Spamalot, the hit Broadway musical based on the cult favorite Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I made sure to watch the movie again the night before to prep myself. I remember being in middle school and high school when all my friends were obsessed with Monty Python jokes, and I had never seen the movie then, so I didn't know what the hell they were talking about when they asked, "What floats in water?" "Apples! Small rocks! A church!"

Spamalot was funny, but very similar to the Monty Python movie, just with more songs and glittery costumes and sets. Lots of lines were lifted verbatim from the film, but I guess it wouldn't work otherwise for its cult fan base. They included my favorite scene from the movie ("We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune." ... "Who does he think he is?" "I am your king!" "Well, I didn't vote for you." "You don't vote for kings." ... "Listen... strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power comes from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!" "Shut up!" "See??? This is the violence inherent in the system! Help, help! I'm being repressed!").

Lots of references to the smallest details from the movie... There were also a bunch of new songs and scenes that poked fun at other Broadway musicals. Overall, it was a good time. Oh, they also imported the song "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life," although it loses the ironic context of the original song. There was also an audience sing-along at the end. Good times. Everyone who's a fan of Monty Python... go see this show when it stops by your city!

Throughout the week, I started working on my website again. It was good to finish a big project I had started on it.

I had a good time on Friday night at a tea party my roommates had, and later I went to Charlie's Kitchen to meet up with friends. I spoke in a British accent, and it was a lot of fun. Haha... but my British friend kept correcting me, "British people don't say that!!!" Oh, and of course no weekend is complete without a trip to the Kong for greasy Chinese food, so there was that.

This past week was a bit tough because I got sick and then suddenly (and bizarrely) became Sleeping Beauty because I could not wake up for anything... I just kept on sleeping and sleeping. Maybe it's from the exhausting week before when I had to write two big papers.

Graduation is quickly approaching, and there is much to be done before... two huge projects/papers and three finals. I'm not looking forward to them. But it'll be a big party when those are done!

Quote(s) of the Day: "I always thought God must be something like Mr. Rogers..."

"Are you done with fisting?"

"I wish it were socially acceptable to punch people who pissed you off."

:: SL 5:23 PM [+] ::
...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?